Wednesday, March 16, 2011

SOLS: Five Seconds

A bit of a line has formed at the door as, looking out, everyone decides they'd better zip their jackets and flip up their hoods.
"Oh my goodness!"
"I love it!"
With gasps and exclamations they one by one disappear until I am at the door myself and there is nothing between me and the grey anymore. I can't stand on the threshold forever. Out.
Out.
Into.
Rain.
Heavy marbles of water bouncing, obscuring, catching the glow from headlights. Running feet slapping, splashing. Lost for five seconds. Cold, wet door handle. In. The rattle of rain on the car roof is how I hear: I am dry(ish), I am safe, I am alive.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting use of the period. after. each. word. I love it. I will try that. Great post. Love the flow of the piece. :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete